Saturday, March 9, 2013

Escape from Alcatraz

 Ready, Set, Go! This is "Escape from Alcatraz" the start of the most difficult triathlon in the world held in San Francisco. Only 2,000 serious competitors ranging in age from 13 to 80 years old from more than 35 countries were able to qualify to participate in this notorious race.
   I first cropped and adjusted the photo in Lucis Pro then tediously painted with Den's Oil Brushes adding more grain to each brushstroke and then finally enhanced the impasto style texture using Corel Painter 12's texture options. I wanted to express artistically how challenging this triathlon really is for these incredible athletes and highlight the world famous Golden Gate bridge still standing after 75 years, equally representing strength and endurance through swift currents, deep water and strong winds. This piece can be purchased at www.andreaauletta.com in a variety of formats. I love hearing your comments and trust me it's alot easier than racing in a triathlon ;)

11 comments:

RicRad said...

I like the impasto look of this image Andrea. It does need to be viewed larger to really appreciate it.

TedAzriel said...

Hi Andrea I like your concept and brushwork and I agree with Ric

Frasy said...

Great work, Andrea

KathyS said...

Awesome!

VLomeli said...

WOW I love it

Jeane said...

Wow! You really brought this one to life! The original is so dull I probably wouldn't have noticed it in a group of art work. I love it!

Debra Sheehan said...

I do love the way you can take an ordinary picture and bring beautiful life to it. I love the action and verocity you have brought out with your colors and style.
Thank you.

Jane said...

Beautiful Andrea!

Diana Sparks said...

The vivid frenzy of the competitors against the misty serenity of the bridge is a delightful contrast. You really brought the moment to life — I swear I can hear the waters churning!

MWilliams said...

Beautiful and impressive painting, Andrea! Must have been a lot of work to emphasize that many swimmers!

Judy said...

Great picture. Lots of detail in this one.