Friday, August 20, 2010

SIZING UP THE COMPETITION


 I took this photo during another swim meet that included younger swimmers competing. I really felt for this little girl in the red bathing suit as I watched her shiver and doing her own "little dance" to stay warm prior to the whistle to jump in the water. As you can see in the photo, as soon as she got into the water her whole attitude changed and she was quickly focused and in position for the start of the race to begin.  Quickly as I was taking the shot; I also noticed these other girls glancing over at their competition in the red.  With only seconds left my finger quickly pressed the shutter button to capture that perfect line-up then with the sound of the starting pistol the race was on!!! Silently, I felt myself rooting for the tiny girl in red as if she was my own.
 Click the image to enlarge
 

17 comments:

Linda Bell said...

Wow, Andrea! This is my favorite one so far in your swimming series! What makes it so much fun is that it tells a story. The focus of the little girl in red - and the expressions on the other swimmers - just perfect!!!

Suzanne said...

Great painting Andrea, like a modern day Normal Rockwell

eamckinley said...

Again, you have an amazing eye as well as wonderful talent to make it a work of art. I agree with Suzanne's statement. I automatically felt nostalgia looking at this piece. And I too am rooting for the little red swimmer!!! Thanks for sharing this wonderful piece of art!!

Marilyn Sholin said...

This is fabulous and a great story! The edge on it is great and the way the ropes hit the bottom of the painting is fabulous. You drew my eye exactly to the right place!

Nelda said...

Fabulous catch on the photo and the picture says a thousand words

Ralph said...

Just PERFECT!

Diana Sparks said...

Great loose technique, perfect for the subject matter. Another winner!

Anonymous said...

Andrea,

Great picture!! Love the colors and facial expression(s)!

Tina

DiamondRabbit said...

Omg Andrea..I really really like this painting. I really do.

CF said...

Great story telling Andera nice soft colors

RicRad said...

You've captured some wonderful character expression in this image Andrea

Washed said...

You are encouraging me to do some swim pics. Both my children have been on swim clubs for 15 years! We just shipped my son off to NC State on a swim scholarship. Thanks for sharing... inspirational

Charen said...

What a wonderful painting!

Judith said...

This is sooo cute. Its adorable with the expression that the little swimmer has on her face. Love the way you painted this, the water, the ropes, the kids...its wonderful. Looks very fun.

Kobi said...

Very nice composition. The angle and elements really work in making this a super image.

Avril said...

wonderful work...well done.

Harry said...

This is a wonderful colorful painting and what a moment to capture.