Wednesday, July 7, 2010

DEREK

 This is my neighbors 10 year old son Derek, determined to win!. I was able to attend one of his swimming meets last year and have had this image in my folder "to paint" waiting for some artisitc inspiration since then and I am so excited I have revisited it and created what you see here. This is the same crop as the original photograph taken and I loved the angle, the splash and rush of the water around him along with his competitive expression.Everything just came together on this one in one evening! I have the original without his name but added it for effect to print it out on a 20x30 poster for him. The print turned out vibrant and textured just as I had hoped! He is a bright young man and seems to excel in all his swimming meets. He didn't know that I painted this so I'm excited to give him his poster! My next attempt will be to print this on canvas and add acrylic paints for even more texture. Stay tuned..I hope to post those results too!  If you are a local athelete and are interested in having me attend one of your events for your own photopainting; email me with your details. I look forward to hearing from you. 

11 comments:

Smart Shoppers >> For Early Adopters said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Linda Bell said...

I LOVE the way you captured his expression and the way you painted the water. He must have been thrilled! Can you imagine how much fun it will be for his kids (and grandkids) to have this someday? Priceless!

Diana Sparks said...

Beautifully painted, Andrea. And so watery! Cool use of type, too. Derek is a lucky kid!

eamckinley said...

What a great keepsake for Derek and his family!

Joanna said...

Hey Andrea thats such a cool painting you did of me! My mom just brought it home and i was so suprised. I love the water its so beautiful and i love my name.You captured a lot of detail in the water and my face. When my mom showed it to me i thought it was a real picture. You did a very good job of it thank you so much Andrea. (: From, Derek

Debbie Sheehan said...

I love the way you captured the water and his expression. The name down the side really adds a personal touch. Good Job as always Andrea! Your action work is becoming some of my favorites. It's a close tie to the sweet facial expressions that you capture on Gigi! :)

Kayla said...

Thats my bro! Looks AWESOME Andrea!!

DiamondRabbit said...

This is a really cool piece! I love how his face is sharper than anything else in the painting.

RicRad said...

Great composition, delightful color palette and wonderful brushstrokes Andrea

sarnoart said...

Great work! You've really captured motion of the backstroke perfectly. Nice job on the bubbles and foam, and really nice the way you've captured the body below the water

atadesigner said...

lovely color and image, well done :)